Post-doc Research Fellow in Communication
Job offer posted on 6 July 2022
DesCartes Program (Work Package 7) is looking for a Research Fellow position in Communication (public perceptions, expectations and communication of AI systems).
The DesCartes programme is developing a hybrid AI, combining Learning, Knowledge and Reasoning, which has good properties (need for less resources and data, security, robustness, fairness, respect for privacy, ethics), and demonstrated on industrial applications of the smart city (digital energy, monitoring of structures, air traffic control).
The program brings together 80 permanent researchers (half from France, half from Singapore), with the support of large industrial groups (Thales SG, EDF SG, ESI group, CETIM Matcor, ARIA etc.).
The research will take place mainly in Singapore, at the premises of CNRS@CREATE, with a competitive salary and generous funding for missions.
Read more about the DesCartes program here.
WP7 focuses on the ways in which AI is embedded in, shaped by, and responds to societies and their diverse cultures, values, and environments. WP7 adopts an integrative contextualised approach and incorporates social & legal concerns on fairness & privacy in AI technology design to generate comprehensive and fresh human-centred frameworks and guidelines to ensure positive societal and cultural take-up and impact.WP7 aims to elaborate recommendations to promote creative & effective ways for communicating & collaborating about AI systems and increase AI literacy.
As a highly interdisciplinary project, DesCartes will include communication researchers who will observe, document, and analyse the science and engineering processes.
They will adopt a cross-cultural approach combining study of Singaporean contexts and social implications of the technology used in DesCartes to provide a better understanding of public perceptions (fears, anxieties, desires) and expectations of AI in order to develop citizen-centred communication frameworks.
- To engage in conducting literature searches and manuscript preparation within the Descartes project.
- To engage in survey conceptualization and design.
- To conduct statistical analyses with survey data.
- To contribute to research publications and presentations.
- To write progress report and final research report.
- To engage in the dissemination of the results of the research with the support of and under the supervision of the Principal Investigator.
- To carry out administrative work associated with the program of research.
- To organize and facilitate intra-Descartes meetings and discussions.
- To communicate observations and findings to Descartes project as necessary.
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- Ph.D. degree in communication (preferred), psychology, sociology, or a social science related discipline.
- Strong foundation in survey research and analytical skills (e.g., SPSS, MPLUS, or R).
- Fluent in English written and spoke.
- A team player in a project setting, also with ability to work independently in a multi-cultural team environment.
- Must demonstrate initiative and good interpersonal communication skills.
- An internationally recognized research track record as evidenced by journal publications and conference presentations.
FURTHER INFORMATION & CONTACT
Gross Monthly Salary Range (SGD): 6,000-7,200 (depending on suitability and experience).
Workplace Address: CREATE Tower, 1 Create Way #08-01 Singapore 138602
Interested applicants please send your resume to:
– Shirley HO (Prof.) TSYHo@ntu.edu.sg
Please attach your full CV, with the names and contacts (including email addresses) of two-character referees.